We’ve all heard of the pumpkin-spice loving, Ugg boot wearing basic babe, but have you ever thought about what makes a NOLA girl basic? We’re here to discuss just that!
We don’t deny that the girls of Babes & Beignets love froyo and cupcakes, and can quote Mean Girls at the drop of a hat; and when it comes to being a NOLA basic babe, we are preauxs!
If you meet at least 5 of these criteria, congrats! You too are a NOLA basic babe. Don’t sweat it. We like to think NOLA ladies are a step above your average basic babe so say it loud and proud!
Caution: these traits may apply to babes all over Louisiana.
20. You own an oversized Perlis Mardi Gras polo.
19. The Fleur De Lis tattoo.
This is the NOLA (and Louisiana in general) babe trademark. It doesn’t matter if it’s a tramp stamp or a wrist tat, you’re bound to see Fleur De Lis ink on babes all over the city.
18. You only drink Abita Strawberry with your crawfish.
17. Rebirth Brass Band and Trombone Shorty are YOUR jam.
You’re a local after all.
16. The extra room or closet in your house is for all of your costumes.
I mean there’s Mardi Gras, St. Patrick’s Day, Red Dress Run, Nolaween, just to name a few.
15. That reminds us, you and your girlfriends only refer to Halloween as #Nolaween.
14. Cheese Fries at F & M’s on Saturday night are “your” thing
…and not too long ago a slice of pizza from The Boot was.
13. You own an oversized Saints jersey,
or just one of those cute New Orleans Saints tops from Fleurty Girl.
12. Like your average basic babe, you and your girlfriends love brunch.
The only difference is our brunches consist of DIY bloody mary bars like the one at Atchafalaya, and Benedict’s over crab cakes or topped with oysters (like at Stanley) instead of ham. And, bottomless brunch at Salu is your jam.
11. You own one of those cute little gold necklaces that says “NOLA” or “Louisiana”
from a Magazine St. boutique such as Jean Therapy.
10. You live for Taco Tuesday at The Rum House
9. You or someone in your family has been Mardi Gras royalty before.
8. You own a pair of KREWE Du Optic sunglasses,
…or at least they’re on your wish list.
7. When craving something sweet you…
5. You own at least one thing with the New Orleans water meter on it
4. You and your friends end everything in “eaux.”
3. Wine and cheese at Bacchanal is your go-to girl’s night.
2. You named your pooch NOLA, Roux, Gumbeaux, Brees, Rex or Zulu.
1. You love glitter more than the average babe.
It’s not a crime, we have more reasons to wear it!
We love our city and our NOLA babes! If we missed anything that you think makes a NOLA basic babe, please add it in the comments!
Babes & Beignets